Conference participants arriving from countries not on the VISA Waiver Program (see below) will be required to obtain a B1 Visitor VISA before entering the United States. The B1 VISA allows holders to attend scientific conferences.

Applicants for visitor visas should generally apply at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where they live. It is important to apply for a visa well in advance of the travel departure date.

To request an invitation letter for your visa application, please email your name, affiliation and address to

The first step in the VISA application process it to complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160 that can be found at  After you have submitted Form DS-160, print the confirmation page and bring it to your interview. You can learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy-specific instructions, and much more by visiting the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will be applying at

The list of countries designated on the VISA Waiver Program (VWP) and eligibility requirements can be found at

In order to travel without a visa on the VWP, you must have authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to boarding a U.S. bound air or sea carrier. ESTA is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) automated web-based system to determine eligibility to travel without a visa to the United States for tourism or business. Visit the ESTA webpage  for more information.